View Single Post

Old 05-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Shield .40 First Impressions

I picked up a Shield .40 yesterday and thought I would share a few of my observations.

First, like I have seen many people mention I was concerned about what the recoil would be like, and how fast I would be able to get back on target. After about 140-150 rounds through it I can say that I no longer have any concerns. I shot mostly WWB with a few 135gr Rangers, and some 180gr reloads. None of them was at all difficult to control. I would say that the recoil is similar and probably a little nicer than that of my LC9. It was pleasant to shoot with both the flush and the extended magazine.

Accuracy.....It shot really nice. There were a couple where I without a doubt anticipated and shot low right (I am a lefty). At 7 yards when I was done with the 1st 100 there really wasn't any of the 9 ring left. Nothing was outside of the 8 ring including the shots I knew I jerked low.

Trigger......Crisp, good reset a little heavier than I would like (that will either clear up with some more use, or be fixed by an Apex kit). The one thing I really wish was different is the overtravel. Way too much for my liking. That however is another thing easily fixed by installing an Apex kit.

Comparing to my LC9....I is very slightly larger, but conceals just as well. I like striker fired pistols better than long double action triggers. I will say that with some use the trigger on my LC9 has become very smooth and nice. I plan on keeping both, I really like my LC9. However, if I was told I could only have one of them.....right now it would have to be my shield.

One last thing to note. This only happened with the 7 round extended magazine, but I found that if I was not a little careful in how I gripped the pad between the base of my finger and the middle knuckle would sometimes depress the mag release. This happened about 3 times total but like I said, only with the extended magazine. I will have to see what I can do to stop this, or only shoot the 6 rounders. This same thing happened a couple time when I first got my LC9, then I managed to get my grip settled in and it has not happened again in several hundred rounds.

This seems like it is getting long so I will cut it off there. All in all I am very happy with my purchase.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: