Thread: 4566 s&w
View Single Post

Old 05-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked 1,461 Times in 257 Posts

Thye 4566 IMHO is one of the best 3rd Gens to be had anywhere for any price. I have two (one is the 'slick' and the other is the 'Rail Gun').

This weekend, I did my home action job on them. That is: Detail strip and clean, as well as polish the sides of the trigger engagement areas and the sides of the drawbar. This, in concert with the addition of Wilson Combat 17# mainsprings makes them have a SMOOTH DA pull of 8# and a SA pull of approx. 3.5#

I also changed out the black MIM triggers with the Brownells-cataloged 4006 CHP (listed in their schematic pages) flash-chromed Triggers three weeks ago. I like the 'old school' stainless look better. The grip pins were also changed out

I have done much of the work myself. These were former Atlanta, GA area LE pistols. Upon receipt, they were FILTHY and buffed from holster wear.

I bathed them in CLP and used Red and Green Scotchbrite pads to polish out the scratches. I cleaned them in hot, soapy water with Dial Anti-Bacterial soap. I them dryed them and sprayed them again with CLP Break Free and finished them with 2400-grit paper. The effect was the SAME as a light bead blast. Smooth as a baby's bottom with no glare.

I secured a quantity of Ed Brown Competition safeties from Gun Broker. I thought I bought 1/ea for $57. Turns out, I bought 9/ea. They have gone on all of my 7 3rd Gens, with the exception of the wife's 3914.

The grips are the S&W units that have been sent to ROBAR in The Valley of the Sun to be stippled.

Bottom Line: The 4566/63 and TSW guns are exceedingly serviceable guns that are overbuilt and will last a lifetime. I actually prefer the 4566 to the 1911. I know that's blasphemy, but for the LEO or homeowner, they are one of the safest and trouble-free pistols one can have.

18DAI: Hope you like the new look!

The Following User Likes This Post: