View Single Post

Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmort666 View Post
Back in the early '70s, Abercrombie & Fitch... yes, Abercrombie & Fitch had one in their downtown Chicago store... yes, downtown Chicago!

It's the most beautiful handgun I've ever seen.

I've wanted one ever since.
Hey! I went to that store while at a college Journalism convention. It was a delight, and i handled some fine guns and Zeiss binoculars and saw Randall knives.

The staff were congenial once they saw that I was an enthusiast, and they were the friendliest people we met in Chicago. (Overall, it was a rude city by Texas standards, and many of our students were shocked by that.)

The Dallas A&F also had some nice guns, and I wrote a story for, "Guns" about a selection of Churchill, Atkin, Grant, and Lang guns auctioned there. Also did a story for, "Guns" on the widest selection of Merkel guns to be shown in the USA since WW II, a few years before Germany re-united. (The guns were shown at A&F.)

It was a truly sad day when the A&F name was sold to The Limited, which turned it into a ladies clothing store. Disgraceful!

The old, REAL A&F was a delight for sportsmen and famous explorers. Their catalogs were terrific, too.