View Single Post

Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM

Liked 6,617 Times in 2,199 Posts

The 457 & 4513TSW use the same set of inner/outer recoil springs as the 4013TSW & 4040PD. The springs are painted a light blue color.

This is what they look like ...

I've been told the company went with the dual, non-captured recoil springs in the compact 40's & 45's for a reason (after their experience with the early 4516's), and I prefer to stick with the factory recoil spring setup for my own 4513TSW, 4013TSW & 4040PD.

Also, the newer designed recoil guide rod assembly lacks the staked collar design of the older rods. In the earlier design the plunger & spring were held within the rod by the collar, which was staked to the rod body. The newer style no longer has a separate collar staked to the rod, but is a 1-piece unit in which a larger plunger & spring are simply inserted into the rear of the rod body.

This picture shows the new style (left) & old style (middle & right) rods. You can see the staking dimples on the old style rods. (Yes, sometimes they weren't perfect. I'm told they're done in a press, operated by hand, with 3 pairs of dimples staked into the rod.)

These pictures show some new style rods with the springs & plungers both installed and removed. The black plunger is plastic, and was used in the Chief's Special guns. Dunno if it was used in the 457's at some point. The shiny plunger is the steel one used in the non-staked guide rods in the TSW's. The small end of the springs are snapped onto the plunger, and the large end is turned/pushed into the rod body.

Personally, I don't have a particular preference for either plunger material, meaning plastic or steel, since both seemingly have their advantages and disadvantages. The plastic ones can get the ends a bit chewed up from frequent field-stripping & reassembly (engaging the slide stop tip, and the semi-circular plunger notch in the slide stop lever's pin), but any frayed plastic is easy to remove. The steel ones can sometimes develop a burred edge which may make removal & insertion of the slide stop assembly anywhere from stiff, to rather difficult.

Last edited by Fastbolt; 05-28-2012 at 05:08 PM.