View Single Post

Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDWYO View Post
I agree with the other posts regarding the advantages of a snubbie, but given the OP's stated purpose for the revolver as a fun range gun, I would strongly recommend against starting with a snubbie as your first revolver. They are more difficult to shoot accurately, and IMO much less fun to shoot. My suggestion, for what it's worth, would be for a 4" K or L frame 357 mag. That way you have the versatility of shooting 357 mag or 38 special. Someday you'll probably want a snubbie too, but I would not recommend starting with one or you might get discouraged with revolvers!
General wisdom would say you are correct. However, having a snub as a first gun is not always a negative. My wife's first gun was a Ruger LCR with a Crimson Trace Laser. She learned on it and loves it. What did it for her was the unique and easy trigger action. She has used the laser as a training aid, learning how to hold the red dot on the target while dry firing. This has helped her to learn to shoot accurately even without the laser. I believe a snub as a first gun is fine, as long as it is the right snub and a person has correct training. Also, our "range guns" are snubs. That is what we love to shoot even when we just want to enjoy time at the range. As a matter of fact, my first handgun was a snub and a snub is what I still conceal carry today.

Last edited by hogdoc357; 06-01-2012 at 05:51 AM.