View Single Post

Old 06-02-2012, 09:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,502 Times in 6,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
John-

How'd you rig the stocked pistol for that shot with the bolt open and the sight showing?

All of your photos are exceptional, but that one really takes the cake!
Thanks for the compliment! That shot took a bit of planning and post-processing.

First, I attached the shoulder stock to the gun with the action open. I placed it in an upright position over some white countertop board, and anchored it in that position with a couple of flower pots (they were all I could find that were heavy on our back porch) on each side of the rear of the stock. I took the shot from a tripod, trying to get good depth of field with a tight aperture. This was natural light in the shade. I took a number of shots, varying the exposure time until the gun looked right against a near-white background. I saved the shot in RAW format so that I could tweak the exposure on the gun and the background.

Then in PhotoShop Elements 10, I increased the contrast, and applied a blanket lavender color to substitute for the white background in the original shot. I cropped it to eliminate the flowerpots holding the back of the stock, and converted the shot to .jpg format. Voila!

I love to experiment with such shots - so much more is possible with digital photography than in the film era. Today, you can't really believe anything you see that was taken with a digital camera, as so many types of manipulation are possible with the right software.

Hope this explains the shot.

John