View Single Post

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 AM

Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I would ONLY buy what you can get in 50rd boxes! Everything else (except $14-$15/50 rem golden sabers) is a greedy scam--why pay 70-100% more for ammo that is AT BEST on par with Federal HST, SPEER GD, and Wichester Ranger. Those 3 are all available online in 50rd boxes for the same price as 20-25rds of the Hornady or Corbon or whatever. They're using fear to sell overpriced stuff (hoping you'll pay the MOST for what you assume is the "best" when your life is on the line).

Though there are variables like clothing, barriers, etc., those 3 brands will all suit you well. Especially for CCW distances. I shot Speer when I got it for free, and still would if Federal and Winchester werent a few bucks more affordable. The HSTs just do soooo well in testing, and can be found for $24.95, so anyone who pays that--or more--for Hornady is buying into advertising hype or something (not performance) IMHO. I often get the 147gr hi-shocks for $16.99/50, and feel perfectly confident in them.

Assuming youre talking 9mm, I'd stick with 124GR or 147gr...as long as th gun eats it with no issues. Placement is more important, and no one will know the difference between 115 and 147 going through their eye socket--but for COM, the heavier bullets generally penetrate deeper. Unless you've shot a lot, I'd stick with standard pressure--the +Ps may slow follow-up down without lots of practice (and at 1-4yards, the extra 50-90fps won't be noticeable to the BG).

Last edited by Whatgorilla; 06-03-2012 at 12:54 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: