View Single Post

Old 06-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

I'm cheap, so my goto preference for range ammo is the Federal Champion from Walmart. It's well made, clean shooting, and accurate. However, like most ammos intended for range use it's loaded a bit "weak" when compared to a premium Self Defense load. IF you want a FMJ ammunition that is loaded to match the power of a premium SD load the Speer Lawman is a great choice. Downside to the Speer Lawman is that it's usually more costly than the cheaper range ammo's but one you'll be practicing with a load that matches the internal ballistics of what you carry. Another benefit is that I've found the accuracy of the Speer Lawman is a bit better than the Champion in my Sig's S&W revolvers.

BTW, Walmart has recently increased the price on the 40 caliber Champion in the 50 count boxes to 16.99 per box. That is high enough that I'd recomend shopping the net for this particular package. A bit of good news concerning the 40 caliber Champion is that it's now available in 100 round packabes for 28 bucks a box so when I see that I'll snap up all I can.