View Single Post

Old 06-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Liked 1,461 Times in 257 Posts

Gents,

I too share your abiding love of the Model 27. After my Model 28-2 (1975), I wanted another N-Frame .357 Magnum.

In early April, I spied this ANIB Model 27-2 (1980) lying in a corner of the case at my LGS. I traded my custom 1967-vintage Model 58 for the 27-2.

I am a Model 19 freak, so 'upgunning' to the Model 27/28 was a delightful departure from the norm.

I wanted my 27/28 to be 'Fighting Revolvers', so I got some 'extra' hammers/triggers from my gunsmith and others. I sent the triggers off to Mag-Na-Port for their 'Combat Trigger' modification. It helps with the DA shooting and affords a better trigger reach (read: manipulation).

The wood are the Miculek grips. They are the ONLY grip besides the Spegels (to come later) that fit my hand well. They afford a quick, high-grip to the gun when grabbed.

The 27-2 had been sitting in the box for some 30 years. It had some slight tarnishing from the S&W wax paper. I took FLITZ in my fingers and gently rubbed her down with the several applications of the paste. The amount of brown crud that came off of the barrel, frame and cylinder made me cringe. She came out well...

I modified the gun somwhat from her original state. The modifications were done on the premise that she could be given back to her original equipage quickly and without undue fanfare.

My local gunsmith (B. BURRIS handle here on the forum) did the following mods:

--Torpedo Tube chamfer
--11-degree forcing cone chamfer
--Duty Action Job (8.9lbs DA and 3.5lbs SA)
--Changed out the hammer (from the .500" TH to the .400 semi TH)
--Changed out the trigger (from the .500" TT to the Mag-Na-Port Combat Trigger)
--Trued-up the insides with a Kratex file
--Installed the SDM 'New Style' Tumb Latches

Upon receiving it on 1 June, I knocked out the R/R and installed the Meprolight front Tritium blade. The 5-minute job makes it an all-weather/night capable defensive revolver.

The last step for the brace of these N-Frame warriors is to send the Highway Patrolman into ToolTech Gunsmithing to have a Tritium vial installed into the front sight. ToolTech is the sub-contractor for Tijicon (they did the LE Berettas back in the day).

I do love my Combat Magnum, but the N-Frame .357s have a mystique about them. They, like the Model 58 scream, "All Business". They are one of the classiest guns to come out of Springfield.

The Following 5 Users Like Post: