View Single Post

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,579 Times in 9,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFarmer View Post
In Russia the wolf population is known to attack humans with some regularity. Last year a village was terrorized by a pack 400 strong that displayed no fear of humans. They were eating horses. When a pack gets too large attack helicopters are used to kill them. Animal size is said to be 7ft and 220 pounds. Photos that I have seen show either shotguns or old MNs in use. Thus the wolf is not always timid and will attack humans.
I would need solid proof of that not to ring the BS bell.

A 400 member pack does not fit the way wolves roll. They are mainly territorial family groups led by an Alpha male and Alpha female. A 400 member pack would be in a constant fight that would tear itself to pieces. It would take a huge area to support 400 wolves. They'd run themselves to death covering it.

I've been to the area of Belarus that was completely depopulated by the gov't after Chernobyl. Moose and deer were everywhere. Flying over a large area in a small chopper, we saw dozens of moose in an hour even though it was a cloudy winter day with intermittent light snow. Wolf packs were fairly easy to find, but never exceeded the norm of about 6-10 or 12 members. Even in an area completely devoid of humans with game everywhere, the wolves were scrawny and did not exceed what I would guess to be 80 pounds for the largest. I've seen bigger German shepherds.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: