View Single Post

Old 06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,047 Times in 4,758 Posts

I can't help you with Red Dot. I have been using between 8.5 and 10.0 grains of Unique in the 44 for over forty years now (usually with an H&G #503). I agree with what everyone says about it being a bit dirtier than some newer powders, but I am still burning my way through the last 8# jug of it and it still works well enough.

Other choices that interest me have been 231/HP38 and HS6 (I frequently use those two in several other calibers). Both of those work well too, but really no better than Unique, as far as I am concerned, so I have continued to use it in the 44.

For some reason, none of these light loads will shoot as clean or, in my opinion, as accurately as the best loads you can put together with 2400 (when used in its proper operating range). But unless you are using your 44 for bullseye competition, the light loads are accurate enough.

I agree with most of the others on reduced 44 loads. I probably shoot 10 or 20 "plinking" level loads for every full-charge 44 that I fire. They're easier on my hand and wrist - and the gun. But I do admit it is still fun to shoot a half box or a box of the big blasters - especially at longer ranges. People who dismiss the light Unique load might give them a try on 200m rams. I was surprised to see they would knock them down pretty handily with any decent hit to the body.