View Single Post

Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Liked 1,024 Times in 510 Posts
Default BK Grip Adapters - Testers Wanted

Well, it has been a year since I started making BK grip adapters, and what a year it has been. While I'll never make enough out of this business to retire in luxury, the experience of dealing with many of you as customers has just been stellar. What a great bunch of people you are. I especially appreciate the help many of you gave at the start, testing and commenting on the original products, and for the continuing support some of you give to the product in various threads when the opportunity arises. I know I have gotten some customers from those favorable remarks.

Now I'd like to ask for some help again. As some of you know, I have not been able to produce (to my satisfaction) a "silver" adapter, which some would prefer for their stainless and nickel guns. My efforts with various paints have all failed - daily wear and regular shooting wears the paint off the high points in a month or two. (I carry my J frame daily, IWB. When I go shooting I'll put at least a hundred rounds through it at a session, and I try to get to the range at least twice a month. So I don't just shoot 5 and then move on to other guns. This is the kind of usage that I want a painted finish to be able to stand up to.)

Now I've done some more painting, but it will take me (literally) years to check out each of the combinations I've come up with, if I try to test 'em all myself. So I would appreciate it if some of you can help with the testing.

Specifically, I have 12 adapters (half J and half K) painted with different types of stainless/silver paint. I've attached a picture of 'em drying last week. I also have 4 adapters (2 J and 2 K) painted in gloss black (I can imagine some of you might like a glossy black for some of your guns.) Some of these adapters are cast in gray resin, some in the black my customers are used to. Some are primed, some are not. Some of the painted surfaces feel a little "gritty," while others are pretty smooth. This may be a characteristic of the paint or just my spraying technique (all paints came from spray cans.)

What I am looking for are people (1) who carry their revolvers every day, preferably inside the waistband where heat and humidity will be higher, AND (2) who do (or who will, for the test) shoot those revolvers regularly during the month, preferably carrying them to the range in the regular carry rig, so they get shot in the condition they're carried.

If you'll agree to put the adapter on and carry and shoot the gun for a while, I'll sell you an adapter for $10 plus the usual $5.15 postage. Tell me silver or black, but my choice of which one of that color you actually get. You'll agree to let me know how it holds up over time, preferably with a picture or two if it starts to fail. (The adapters are numbered, so I'll be able to tell what combination you're reporting on.) You can post the results to this thread if you like, so everyone can see what (if anything) is working. The forum rules don't allow the posting of feedback here, so please contact me by PM or, preferably, by email to [email protected].

I must be honest and say that, given the universal failure of paint to adhere to these things so far, I can't hold out a lot of hope that any one of these adapters will stand up to regular usage. If yours fails, well you can wipe the paint off with paint thinner or lacquer thinner and have a "regular" adapter for your efforts. (Of course it may be gray, and/or it may have some surface imperfections, but it will be perfectly functional.) Or you can try your own surface coating - more than one person has suggested the rubber stuff you dip tool handles in, for example.

If you're interested in helping to test one out, drop me an email at [email protected] and let me know which size and color you would like. I'll let you know if what you want is available, and the PayPal account or mailing address to use if you want to proceed.

Thanks again for all your past support, and thanks in advance for those of you who would like to help with this testing.

BK Grip Adapters for S&W J, K, L and N Frames-painted-adapters-drying-jpg

Last edited by wrangler5; 06-18-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Update to conform to forum posting rules
The Following 2 Users Like Post: