View Single Post

Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 AM

Liked 5,205 Times in 2,173 Posts

Quote:
what would be YOUR acceptable group at 60 ft offhand.
Offhand shooting with a handgun is more of a test of the shooter than the gun. No offense, but you are essentially asking for a critique of your shooting ability, not your gun.

From a rest, about a 4 inch group at 25 yards is considered good for a service grade handgun. Any shooter that achieves this offhad is a superb shooter. A true target grade bullseye gun may have basic mechanical accuracy of 1 inch groups at 25 yards with its favorite ammunition. Some champions actually achieve such groups in competition on a good day.

I have shot my M&P Pro off a rest at distances up to 100 yards, and am satisfied that any misses of the "zero down" circle on an IDPA target up to the legal match distance of 35 yards will be my fault, not the gun's.

Regaring your observation at a USPSA match, the "A" shooter you watched probably was shooting as fast as he could go and still get acceptable hits on the targets, and was not trying for minimum groups sizes. There is a "sweet spot" in speed shooting where you still get pretty good hits at high speed, and a point past that where you go too fast and the hits are lousy.

Keep working at it, and take a class from a competition shooter if you get a chance.