View Single Post

Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked 6,931 Times in 2,347 Posts

Interesting topic and a ton of information for anyone to digest. In my early days of shooting an uncle had a .44 magnum Smith from the 50's, my cousin "borrowed" one day while we went out on a road-trip. First lesson we all learned is never fire off a round from inside the vehicle, second lesson I learned was how the S&W .44 magnum bucked back into the web of my hand between thumb and forefinger. I did not care for the recoil and did not pursue owning a big Smith. I did get into shooting .44 magnum with an old 3-screw Ruger Superblackhawk, I loved the way the 7.25" barrel would flip reducing felt recoil significantly, however follow-up shots were impaired in the same manner, that and the fact that it was single action only. Years later I got into a M29 w/6.5" barrel and have enjoyed shooting it over the years, tending towards .44 special but feeling competent out to 25yds with full magnum loads. Then recently I got a lucky score on a 629-2 first edition Mountain Revolver, I did not care for the recoil of the lighter barrel but was set on using while afield. I called up magnaport and they recommend a quad trapazoid porting job for a 4" pistol, sent it off and am very happy with the results, so much so that I wouldn't hesitate to do it to any other pistol designed for such use...I don't think it would be of any real use in a pistol designed for target shooting like a .44 special. I also have never cared for pachmeyer grips and have always liked the way magnum coke profile target stocks fill my hand, I ordered up a set from Kurac and John outdid himself, the fit is perfect. Haven't tried the completed pistol out yet but am sure it will live up to what I expect. This big pistol sits in a vintage Lawrence holster and gives me all the comfort I ever need while afield, snakes or bears. Im a big enough guy that can hide a full size 1911 in the small of my back with shorts and a t-shirt, I never wear anything less and I don't really care if anything shows due to the fact this is an open carry state and I'm licensed for concealed carry if need be. Its not uncommon to see people packing openly and personally I believe as Jefferson said "An armed society is a polite society."