View Single Post

Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Liked 229 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy423 View Post
So I went back to LGS during lunch to look again. Here's my question and concern. I noticed some play in the slide to frame fit. If I put my thumb against dust hood, and push down with index & middle fingers on the muzzle end of slide, it moves up and down a little bit. Maybe 1/32" to 1/16" of an inch? I thought that was interesting. Other than that, it looks very nice, as well as box and manual, 2 clips, wrapping paper, holster, etc. What are your thoughts? What would be a dead giveaway of high round count? Thanks again.
Guitarguy:

I just responded to your pm prior to seeing this post.

I don't think 1/32" play up and down *and side to side) at the muzzle is anything at all other than normal tolerances.

I don't have my 5906 with me, but am carrying a 4014 (same basic gun, but a compact, alloy framed, all blackened .40 S&W).

I just took it out and tried it with and without a loaded magazine in it, and there is easily a 1/32" play in all four directions at the muzzle (there kind of has to be).

Inspect the frame rails, but it sounds fine to me.

One of mine I bought new has a fairly high round count (the other one has less than 200 through it). There should not be a lot of stainless/stainless wear (or for that matter stainless/alloy frame wear on the alloy models) if you use a quality grease on the slides. I particularly like RIG +P for stainless guns, although regular RIG is extremely good if that is all you can find.

The 4014 has had about 500 rounds through it. They all have some play in the slide area, even brand new.