View Single Post

Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Liked 657 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
I have heard I can use GD-JHP data but what do I use for the C.O.A.L?
Q: What is the first rule of handloading?

A: Start low and work up.

As far as the C.O.A.L. goes, it can be different for any specific gun because variances in the way they feed the completed round. It can also change with different bullets of the same weight. You do realize that the O.A.L. published is there to qualify the way the pressure testing was performed and not to guarantee that the loaded round will feed-right?

Seems as though you are looking for something to copy instead of developing a load for your gun with that bullet. If so, that is not a good modus operandi!

Seat the bullet so that the loaded round is at the SAAMI maximum C.O.A.L. and start with the minimum charge for the powder you're using based on that bullet's weight. Load about a half dozen of each as you adjust the length to feed correctly in your gun. This will allow you to zero in on the correct length without having to pull a zillion bullets from rounds of unfavorable lengths. Adjust lengths in increments of .005"-.010". after you hit the right length, then adjust your charge weights upwards as necessary.

Load development- not building ammo from a recipe. You're not working with a shotgun.

Finally, never use data somebody has given you without verifying it in published load data.

Bruce

PS This is a virtual reprint of the response I gave the OP in another thread he left concerning pretty much the same thing, only blasting Lyman's 49th reloading manual.

Last edited by BruceM; 06-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.