View Single Post

Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked 296 Times in 189 Posts
Default What to put in storm shelter?

I just last Friday had a pre-cast storm shelter installed. Looks to be a pretty solid little 6'x8' bunker with two vents and thick steel door.

Anyhow...I figure at the least will need maybe 6 folding chairs...a 5 gallon bucket with lid(can of Lysol to go with bucket!)...maybe a small shelf behind the steps/ladder with a battery powered lantern and extra batterys and a first-aid kit. Maybe a gallon or five of drinking water and a cup or two. Maybe a radio and some extra batterys(not for sure we'll get any reception down the hole)

I also thought about including a bottle jack and an extension for it to shove the door open if by chance a storm toppeled the house onto the shelter(it's close to the house).

I really don't think it neccessary to turn my shelter into a long-term 'zombie apocolypse bunker'...or to turn it into a below-ground storage shed. However I just dropped a chunk of change to get a shelter..and substantial effort in getting in into the ground and bermed up.

Just what do you think the minimum amount of gear should be stored in a storm shelter?

Thanx..Stevie