View Single Post

Old 06-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Liked 296 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightArm View Post
My sister's family already had to use theirs. It's probably the same unit as yours. Don't know what they have in there, but it was only in use for a couple hours each time. I assume they at least have a radio so they know when to come out. Maybe they get that info from cell phones. They're in Oaklahoma City, or just outside of it.
Yep...I've been on a waiting list to get a shelter for a couple months. We live about 40 miles from OKC...and this house is the first I've lived in without an underground shelter of some sort..and we've lived here for seven years without one.

After Piedmont Ok took a hit last year..and the other tornados bouncing around the Oklahoma area(some not far from me!)..we decided to just bite the bullet and get one.

I'm seeing some ideas I like..plastic storage containers for gear being one. I believe I'm going with some camping type collapsible chairs. I have some of these onhand will work for the time being. Probably just put some quanity of bottled water in the shelter.

I've even thought of using Igloo ice chests to store gear and then use as extra seating...I've got lots of ice chests.