View Single Post

Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 PM

Liked 296 Times in 189 Posts

Ehh...so far I have two Igloo ice chests..one full of bottled drinking water..the other with a flourescent lantern and extra batterys and a couple cheap flashlights with extra batterys, a roll of paper towels, and a first-aid kit.

I also stashed some bigger extra 6 volt batterys for the flourescent lantern we keep in the house for power-outages. Figuring if we ditch the house for the hole..hopfuly we take the big lantern with us...Also stashed our fold-up camping chairs down-hole for the time-being. Could conceivably seat six or seven in the shelter now...three chairs..two ice chests..and the steps.

I have lots of ice chests..I may rat-hole a couple more down the shelter for additional storage..seating..and table use.

That's more stuff than my family ever had down our cellar when I was a kid..and I figure it's a decent start. At least the 'fraidy hole' has some basic gear in it now.

I think a D-cell radio..a 5 gallon bucket with lid...TP(forgot this at Wal Mart a bit ago..and we are low!)...and whatever I'm going to rig up to jack the door open in worst-case catastrophie will constitute the majority of what we'll keep down the shelter..I think?...Maybe some towels...not sure?...I can see the folly of stashing too much stuff in the shelter..and the danger of not enough stuff as well.

Debating on the wisdom of rat-holing a firearm and ammo...if I do that..I would feel compelled to lock it up..and I don't think it's real wise to lock the storm shelter!