View Single Post

Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 AM
US Veteran

Liked 464 Times in 172 Posts
Default Storm Shelter

I had the larger size 7'X10' cellar installed this spring. I found some 'stick on' overhead LED lights a Lowes that the AA batteries are supposed to last about 40 hrs. I installed 2 of them with "Liquid Nails". (I dont trust the sticky tape). The were about $18 each, but they provide very good light.

When it was first installed, it was a Very effective 'ehco chamber' that was very annoying. I called my neighbor on my cell phone to see if it could call out. It did, but he could not understand me because of the ehco. I installed some of the multi color snap together foam rubber floor tiles from Sam's and it made a BIG difference in comfort as well as noise reduction.

I have a 6' 'tamping bar' & a small floor jack that I hope will suffice if
the door should get blocked. Here in Okla. the shelter should only be needed for about an hour or two, but as posted earler, it may be needed mulitple times on a severe weather outbreak.

I have lived in Okla. since 1964 and have only had to go into a storm cellar one time. That was during the 1999 outbrake that mostly leaveled a large portion of Moore,Okla., & totally destroyed a shopping center about 15 miles west of me. That was the first time that I had heard "Nothing above ground is safe" There were people in Moore that had did everything you were supposed to (get in bathtub with mattress over you, ect.) who were still killed. There were whole blocks that nothing but the floor slabs were left. It lifted before it got to my place, so we 'dodged the bullet' on that one. It still gives us a 'warm fuzzy' to know that our cellar is there if we need it.

Art