View Single Post

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 AM

Liked 977 Times in 467 Posts

I'm with BCDWYO, I don't think the J-frame gun is a good choice for any but the most accomplished shooters. Snub-nosed guns are notoriously difficult to shoot well owing to the short sight radius and typical light weight. A K-frame gives the user substantially more to hang onto, better sight radius (and often better sights) and more weight to help hold it steadier. I have been a revolver shooter for several decades, but only recently felt I was capable of wielding a J-frame well at anything past Halitosis range. Even now, it takes constant practice to maintain what I consider proficiency. Good grips that truly fit your hand can be a HUGE aid to good shooting.

But if you really like it and think you can adapt to its foibles, I'd still look for a better deal. I see new S&W Model 642's for less than that price all the time. I have a M-36 (3") that I love, but I also know that I shoot ANY K-frame a lot better. In concealment the difference is very slight, and I'm not a real big guy. But then, I probably don't have the same figure you do, either!