View Single Post

Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked 2,270 Times in 1,273 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMaxSplat View Post
It has been my thought for some time that many people fret to much over cleaning AR type rifle barrels. Unfortunately, the "M&P Sport" doesn't appear to have a chrome lined bore (like a proper AR type weapon should), so copper fouling, rust, and barrel life will be much more of an issue than with a mil spec barrel.

The unlined barrel will need to be cleaned after every use to prevent rust. Copper will need periodic removal, but don't go overboard with it. I'd recommend "normal" cleanings with CLP and limited use of copper solvents. A bore snake is great for leaving a trace of CLP to help prevent rust.
Sir I must disagree with you seriously, If you read the independent engineering studies on Melonite it surpasses chrome lining in every study and case. It is harder, it has more lubricity, it wont flake or wear out. It is not a plating but a treatment that actually is thicker than the chrome lining and according to the engineering studies it is rust resistant also to the level of chrome plating. The molecules are changed such that iron oxide (rust) wont adhere to them. If you will look under the sticky posts for the one titled "barrel specs for sport" you will find a bunch of these studies. Every so often we have someone come in and try to extol the virtues of chrome plating. At the time these weapons were designed chrome lining was the best that they could do. Metallurgy has come a long way since and the result is Melonite or Salt Nitride Carburization. Please take some time to read it. If you notice S&W originally put this barrel on the Sport now it is going to a lot of the other models and some of the biggest names in Barrel manufacturing are starting to use it as well. Have a good day!

Here is the link: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...ecs-sport.html

Last edited by oneyeopn; 06-29-2012 at 11:18 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: