View Single Post

Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Liked 2,270 Times in 1,273 Posts

If you read the treatises in the link you will learn a lot, they do actual comparisons between hard chrome and Melonite. The Melonite wins hands down. Most Police departments have to go by Mil-spec standards when they buy AR type rifles. There are also a lot of departments buying the Sport. In a couple of different forums there are comparisons being done between Colts with the Chrome lined barrel and the Sport. I honestly am waiting to see what failures if any are suffered between the two. The Sport has already shown itself to be twice as accurate in both tests. A lot of people drink the mil-spec koolaid....just remember that spec is close to 50 years old. B52 bombers are also that old but you don't see any of them running around with the avionics that they had when they were new. Just because the Military doesn't want to go through the hassle of a barrel material re-eval it doesn't make their spec the best. I now have two melonite treated barrels one from S&W and another from AR Performance. I love them both. Also it is hard as heck to scratch them....

Last edited by oneyeopn; 06-29-2012 at 12:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: