View Single Post

Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Liked 399 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Do NOT use foaming bore cleaner in the AR 15 platform. The stuff stays sticky, and will cause issues with the gas port.

The modern Russian ammo is not corrosive today, and has not been for several years.
When the rifle is shipped, it has oil in it, which is applied after test firing. In general, you are going to see some dark patches for a short while, it is normal. If you use a copper cutting cleaner, you will see serious green/ blue & black on your patches if there is much copper present. The cleaner changes color and is an indicator that there is copper present.

Remember; just because you see a little color on a patch does not mean you have 'Copper fouling' in your barrel. The real test for this is going to boil down to accuracy tests/ grouping. While it is desirable, a gin clear patch is not the end all, be all for rifle cleanliness and proper function.

Frog lube tends to collect tons of goop, crud and powder in AR 15's. I tried it, and switched back to Slip, and similar light oils. They run much, much cleaner thru the shooting I do.
1. I use foam bore cleaner in all my firearms, AK-47, SKS, M1 Garand AND my AR15 PLUS all my bolt actions. I use break cleaner to blast it from the gas systems and bores of the gas operated rifles. Please give a little credit to others and the fact that YOU are not the only one who knows how to clean firearms. I believe in sparing the cleaning rod and spoiling your bore. You need to get out more and visit other AR forums, and you might want to read this excellent AR cleaning sticky at M4Carbine.net. (they use foam bore cleaner)

2. In other forums people have gotten Wolf ammunition with corrosive primers and have taken photos of their rusty chambers, bores and flash suppressors. This ammo is believed to have come from the Ukraine and the boxes mis-marked as non-corrosive.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 06-29-2012 at 09:21 PM.