View Single Post

Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Absent Comrade
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

I took about 100 various S&W buckles to the Boise show. I sold about 1/2 of them to members, some who collect buckles and some who just wanted a nice buckle to wear. They were all original S&W buckles or S&W licensed Bergamot buckles. Plain buckles, w/o boxes, made of brass or pewter, sold at $15 ea., S&W buckles with clear box top at $25 to $35 ea. Buckles in the old two piece blue S&W box were $35 to $50 range. Some of the rarer Bergamot animal series, etc. buckles were sold at the $50-$75 range. Boxed S&W gold plated and/or sterling buckles went for $100 - $200 range. Scrimshawed buckles were $50 - $100 range. Ebay is full of Chinese rip offs of S&W marked buckles, some of which are very attractive buckles, but not authorized by S&W. They can usually be bought at gun shows or on the internet for $5 - $10 range, but are not collectable as part of a S&W buckle collection.
Pete Robert's book is a starting point, but it only has about 1/3 of original known S&W or S&W licensed buckles. A serious S&W buckle collector needs to acquire copies of all of the S&W factory accessory catalogs, going back to the 70s up to the current ones, as they are the only print reference that covers most of the buckles marketed. There are also various proof strikes of the original dies, drawings of the proposed designs done by the engravers of the dies, etc., or by the vendors, that show up occasionally on eBay, etc., plus there are several S&W commemorative buckles made for various law enforcement units ( Sheriffs, Police, etc), and special buckles for the S&W Academy classes and some Railroad Company Commemoratives. I expect that the 2013 S&WCA meeting in Kansas City will have some serious buckle collections on display, as there is now a display category for non-gun S&W material. I have loaned some interesting buckles, going back to the 1930s, to a S&WCA member for such a display. Ed.

Last edited by opoefc; 06-30-2012 at 07:39 PM.