View Single Post

Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 AM

Liked 296 Times in 189 Posts

These old pocket pistols of various makes and manufacturers are commonly refered to as 'suicide specials'....I think mainly because they used to be ridiculously cheap to buy used as old obsolete guns still good for 'one shot'...not so much because they would blow up on a shooter.

Some folks collect the old pocket guns..and they do have a bit of a following as collector pieces. However in the past the old inexpensive when new guns were virtualy worthless!

Many companys made same/similiar budget handguns in the late 1800's through the early 1900's...a manufacturer would make the same gun..and market them under many different brandnames..hardware store chains and mailorder companys sometimes specifying their own brandname stamped on an order of guns.

The market back then was literaly flooded with inexpensive foreign and domesticaly manufactured firearms.

Is the little 5 shot gun a rimfire or centerfire?

If centerfire it's likely either .32S&W or .38S&W..a bit of caliper measuring on the bore or chambers would give a indication of what the gun was chambered for.

I wouldn't shoot the gun unless I had it thoroghly checked out by a competent gunsmith.