View Single Post

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 AM

Liked 135 Times in 57 Posts

There is a whole lot more to the science of terminal ballistics than just one aspect or focus point. Lots of variables must come together in the successful development of a good performing bullet and then on to loadings for that bullet. There are many published articles and books on terminal ballistics along with a ton of info on the internet. Some is good, some bad, and some written with hidden agendas. Read all you can and form your own opinions.

Velocity alone is not the end all in defensive ammo. From all my study and profession, I have found no scientific evidence that a bullet at handgun velocities can shock the body. A handgun bullet works as a cutting implement that destroys tissue. Bullets that expand, jacketed hollow point, are the most effective duty/defensive bullet designs as they disrupt more tissue resulting in more blood loss to stop an attacker.

A light weight/high velocity JHP may over expand and not reach deap enough into the body's vital organs despite its velocity and kinetic energy. A slower/heavier bullet will have the momentum and mass/sectional density to continue to plow through clothing, bone, muscle, etc and reach the vitals. In the past JHP bullets were highly dependent on being velocity driven to expand. The latest high tech bullet designs are not dependent on velocity to perform. In selecting ammo for serious purposes penetration is tops on my list followed by expansion. If a certain loading has adequate penetration, consistent expansion, accuracy/pistol functioning, and performs well through heavy clothing/light barriers, its velocity is of no real concern to me. Bill