View Single Post

Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 AM

Liked 307 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbliss57 View Post
My 2 cents.. I am still trying to figure out which is the best load to carry also. One thing I disagree with is the statement that size/weight of the bullet is king. A simple law of physics from high school says that Force F = M (mass) x V2 (velocity squared) Since velocity is squared the faster the projectile can travel the force goes up much faster than using a larger bullet.
I will explain the math using no units.
Force =a mass of 10 and a velocity off 10 = 10x(10x10) = 1000 units
If you double the mass to 20; Force = 20 x(10x10) = 2000 units
But if you double the velocity; Force = 10X (20x20)= 4000 units
So velocity is really king. I am not a ballistics expert or even a good journeyman. I am just looking at the math. SO I don't understand why a lighter bullet (say 115gr) going significantly faster than a subsonic 147gr bullet has less penetration. It should have more. Please help me with this. I must be missing something. Unless when we mean penetration we really mean the damage done by a larger object when it enters a cavity. That is a different science altogether. Somewhere in the past couple of month I read a really interesting paper on stopping power, hydro shock and penetration. I wish I could find it. Anyway.. I remain a learner on this subject and I just carry good factory fresh ammo that is recommended to do the job of ever needed.
Google "sectional density" for the answer to your question. There is more to the physics than velocity.

Out
West

Last edited by Out West; 07-03-2012 at 12:14 AM.