Thread: 9mm +P and +P+
View Single Post

Old 07-05-2012, 02:40 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

First, that's spelled Hydra-Shok, not "Hydro."

And there is a reason not to shoot any Plus P Plus ammo. . You cannot deduce pressures by looking at the velocity alone. Plus P Plus ammo is not loaded to standard, stated, pressures; it is loaded to the specs from the ordering agency, and is not normally available to the public.

In other words, you have no idea what is in that ammo. But it is probably going to be pretty hard on guns. I would avoid it in Beretta and Browning 9mm's and the Luger and P-38/P-1 and probably others.

I think MAYBE S&W's 9mm autos are Rated for Plus P Plus. SIG 's MAY be. But for almost no velocity gain, you are risking longtime life expectancy of your gun.

Plus P 9mm ammo is hot enough, and will sometimes exceed 1200 FPS in a four-inch or longer barrel. And you know the specs to which it was made, or can ask. I suggest Speer's Gold Dot Plus P 124 grain or Federal's HST ammo. Federal's 115 grain JHP in their old Classic line may be the best non-Plus P 9mm. It has a pretty good street rep, and is easy on older nines and on Beretta and Browning arms.

If you need more than the above, go to a more powerful cartridge.

Of course, you have all of that expensive ammo... I'd try to contact the manufacturer and ask if they'll tell you for whom it was made and the pressure peak. They'll need the lot number. You may be asked how it got into your hands. If you're lucky, they'll tell you that it isn't too much above normal Plus P pressures and to use it. But probably not in a 940 or in any gun with a light alloy frame. Do not fire in a Lahti, either Finn or Swedish make. You may damage the gun in short order.

I suspect a Glock may handle it. Sweden adopted the Glock because it stood up better with their hot 9mm SMG ammo than other brands of handguns tested.

OH: I have been advised by Browning and Beretta that their guns will handle NATO ammo. Obviously, they do, in NATO service. But many feel that they are best used most of the time with standard pressure ammo, that they may endure longer. Naturally, the less hard you drive any horse, the longer it will last. My M-92FS is loaded with HST or Gold Dot Plus P's for defense use. But range time usually calls for milder rounds. My M-66-3 .357 Magnum also shoots mainly .38 Special ammo.

The extensive breakage of Browning Hi-Powers in UK service is probably due to excessive use of their very hot ammo, loaded by Radway Green arsenal. They practiced a LOT with those guns, and the Brownings used were not the current MK III, which has been beefed up a little with more steel around the ejection port. I have heard (not confirmed) that current Brownings also have a stronger steel formula.

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-29-2012 at 06:48 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: