View Single Post

Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Banned

Liked 274 Times in 137 Posts

I purchased a new Model 500 6-1/6" a few months back. I was a little concerned it would be too big, too heavy, and too powerful thanks to so much exaggeration on the internet, but lo and behold it's a pretty well-balanced, not too heavy, and not at all too large piece of modern engineering mastery!
The finish is a brushed stainless that I would classify as "mmmm-ok" but the details...the things that make it capable of containing the pressure of a 60K psi cartridge, as well as the ergonomics...THAT is top drawer in all respects. In the past ergonomics were far more hit or miss, but this M500 is clearly built to fit the average human hand. This enhances the perception of control over the weapon as well as actual sense of balance. The 6.5" barrel points superbly and hits EXACTLY where it is aimed! The single-action trigger is CRISP with zero take-up and maybe 3 lb....or maybe I've just gotten too used to the average modern auto pistol trigger. Double action is amazingly short, with a stiff initial stage that tapers into the let-off. The revolver is entirely comfortable to shoot double-action using stout loads.
The only downside might be the size of the cartridges. They are so large one cannot grab several in the hand and quickly charge the cylinder. Luckily there is a speedloader made for the M500, and NOT for any pretense but for the practical aspect of having 5 of the large shells ready to go to charge the cylinder fumble-free.
The M500 is INDEED a handloaders dream because that is where the real fun of the round lies...from mild to wild, and even testing a few less conventional types of ammo thanks to having a gargantuan straightwall case as foundation.
IF I were into handgun hunting, the M500 would BE the handgun. IF I go into bear country, the M500 WILL be with me. I grew up "in the woods" and learned early to rely on a large sixgun - the most powerful we had access too at the time (.44 Mag with top HANDloads), and I've faced a few dangerous animals in my time...the S&W .500 will pretty much bust any bear skull wide open, or put a heavy slug through him "end-to-end," and that's the whole point of carrying it in the back country.
All hype aside, the M500 is a wonderfully designed and executed, MODERN revolver, chambered for a MODERN Magnum round, and considering the power it delivers, amazingly compact.
The Following User Likes This Post: