View Single Post

Old 07-12-2012, 07:25 AM

Liked 4,917 Times in 1,706 Posts

The 1961 Model 53 I have was purchased in about 1974. It is a 6" model with the extra rimfire cylinder. Regarding the question of where to find and extra cylinder...good luck. S&W chose to make the cylinder longer than the Model 17 or 48 so the cylinder is specific to the 53..and needless to say all Jet owners want one.

The 53 was my only .22 handgun from 1974 to about 1990. It saw thousands of .22 Long Rifle ammo and well over 1000 Jet rounds...to the point of the forcing cone looking like a funnel. Was lucky enough a few years ago to find not only a Jet barrel but one correct to the period with the sight base pinned to the barrel rib. Since being rebarreled there have been no more Jets down the tube.

Most of my Jet ammo now goes down the TC Contender tube. This has always been one of the most accurate hanguns I have ever shot....

That was at 50 yards a few weeks ago. The gun has shot sub-moa groups since day one no matter what it was fed, factory or reloads...

Killed a truck load of small game with the 53..... Once shot a 5' cottonmouth through the head at 60 yards. Has shot tons of squirrels and even one pheasant. The last time I hunted with it was in 1995 in Az. for coyote...didn't get one though. That was the last time Jets were fired...

Great guns....Bob

Last edited by SuperMan; 07-12-2012 at 07:29 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: