View Single Post

Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 AM

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I knew Van Orden well. He operated from his home on Rt 1 just North of Quantico on the Northbound side. His "shop" was in his Southside Sun Room. In the early 60's and late 50's he was utilized by the Marine shooters for equipment one could not get from the Corps, especially competitive shooting gear. I used him as did the greats of that time before a sniping MOS existed. Top John Boitnot, then Capt. Bill McMillan, Baker, V.D. Mitchell etc. and others, as indicated, knew of him also and a hand full of Pros from WW2 and Korea held the shooters together unofficially. A great man among great men. I was recruited one Sunday at the end of a 2700 aggregate match at LeJune by 'Top Boitnot' (1961 or 2) along with Cpl Carlos Hathcock and two others at Camp LeJune during a regional match. We all went to the Naval academy the summer of 1962 as weapons instructors to the Plebes. Our equipment was not good and was a little bit of everything including Model 70 Winchesters! Anyone remember Sgt Creech? He was the Marine expert in instinctive shooting with a .45.
Gordon Ferrie, former USMC and Presidential Protective Details for Eisenhower and Kennedy.

Last edited by Gordon Ferrie; 07-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: