View Single Post

Old 07-13-2012, 01:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile barrel crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango 106 View Post
I got a new m&p a couple of months ago. The grip, sight picture, low bore axis and trigger were overwhelming in a good way. Perfect reliability with several types of ammo. I did have to get used to the trigger pull, to me the percieved pull was light. I polished the sear, trigger bar loop and firing pin block. It has a tremendous trigger. Accuracy was a puzzle. Poor groups and inconsistent. A close look with a magnifying glass showed "chatter" marks on the barrel crown, and it was easy to see that the crown was not cleanly round. I carefully smoothed out the ragged crown and the accuracy improved greatly. It is very acceptable accuracy for the price.
This is how handguns are marketed these days, poor QC, get them out the door and sale them and then fix the returns that come back. This is why there are so many love/hate issues with most all handguns brands. At least the m&p is reliable.
I agree with your comment about how handguns are marketed these days.
I have not heard the term barrel crown. I know what crown means on a 2x4 board when culling through them to build a straight wall. Is it simular. can you elaborate on the term and how to identify it? Just curious and want to learn. Thanks!!