View Single Post

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Wow, this thread went dormant for a long time. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since we worked it last. I just do what I always do, walk gun shows and see what there is that I feel is grossly underpriced or so rare I may never see it again. Often its a knife or two.

A while back I picked up another carving set (6-10) I think. Its different from the real modern ones and even has a little plate on the stag so it can be inscribed. A buddy dates it to 1971, give or take. That from the way its put together. About 20 years ago a knife purveyor (slickster who resells knives) had a pair of carving sets. I had 2 boys and figured that would be a really good wedding present for them some day. But then I gave away one of them to another guy as a wedding present. One day watching my youngest fumble at trying to clean strawberries, I just gave up. So a neighbor who I like was getting married a year ago. They had a list of things they needed and a carving set was on the list. I already had it so I "saved" money on a wedding present and gave it to them. Guess it took his new FIL to explain just how good it was.

And one day I was walking (stumbling really) through a big gun show and in a glass case was not just a Randall, but one in a H H Heiser sheath. Too good to pass, I bought it. Its a 1947 vintage 4-6. It'll do. Yes, its well worn, but I don't care at all. And I found a long #10 Saltwater fisherman with its sheath. There was another priced the same without a sheath. Go figure. If you can only have one, it needs to have a place to be stored! We'll wait for the cringes.... No, it hasn't rusted yet.

Somewhere in the bowels of my collection is a Solingen Fighter. Should have bought the Vietnam Vets model the same day, long ago.

I've separated the set of 4 individual steak knives. Two of them travel with us on vacations. We threw in with a bunch of scoundrels who have taken to cookin' steaks out in the hills. Guess it won't happen this year in Colorado since they even banned cook fires. But two of the knives along with full place settings of Momma's sterling ride along. If you've got to eat, you might as well eat in style. I always enjoy watching other people try to eat with a plastic knife and fork while we're dining with sterling and a Randall.

The idea that any use of a Randall hurts its price can work for or against you. If you're buying it with some use already, it doesn't hurt you one bit. A decent quality knife should out last you by a good margin. My dad bought a Marbles back in 1925 when he was 14. It cleaned literally thousands of bunnies, tree rats, quail and pheasants, and who knows how many crappie and blue gills, plus a few bass. He used it until he died in 1980. I got custody of it for a while, but then passed it along to my oldest son a while back. Too much responsibility for someone like me. Let him tend to it. Same thing happened to his guns.

The guy who sold me the steak knives included 4 sheaths for 7-4s. I have no idea what to do with them, but I'm sure not going to put steak knives in them. Guess I can put my trout and bird knife in one of them.

So a while back I was reading some Kentucky laws. Its OK to carry a pocket knife or an ordinary hunting knife. Ya think the 1949 Randall in its Heiser sheath is "ordinary" enough? Guess if I get busted, I'd better hope there are no knife collectors on my jury.