View Single Post

Old 07-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CJ, I've attached my response that's in another Shield 40 thread. There is a definite problem with these firearms. If you own one and all you're doing is punching paper with it then it's dependability is not a factor. If you're carrying one off duty or concealed and your life or someone else's may depend on it's operation, please rethink your decision anout carrying it. The fact that mine experienced an out of battery detonation was bad enough but to send the gun to Smith and have it returned with exactly the same problem has destroyed any confidence I had in the gun as an off duty. ..................

Original post.
I ordered my Shield 40 in May and received it mid June. I shot a box of Speer Lawman ammo through it and experienced 2 mag drops. Thought it to be an ammo or grip problem so I taped an foam ear plug just above the release as a land mark and switched to regular duty ammo. Shot another 15 rounds with no issues.
I took the Shield to my semi-annual LEO quals so that I could carry it off duty. I had 2 feed malfuntions due to the mag dropping approx a quater inch out of lock and 45 rounds into the course of fire I had an out of battery detonation. It blew the mag completely out of gun and form fitted the case to the feed ramp and the rear half of the chamber. The case head hit my ballistic glasses just above my right eye , creasing the lens and gouging the frame. My trigger finger is still sore. I sent the gun back to S&W.
Two weeks later I recieved a call stating they were replacing the lower but sending me back my original slide. Wouldn't give me an explanation as to why. Lawyer BS I imagine. Received the gun a week later. Second shot out of the box, mag dropped 1/4", round stove piped and I went to cussing. If they can't repair a gun that I'm trusting the public's and my life to then that gun shouldn't have been returned to service. Needless to say this is my last S&W and I'll be returning my Shield and my new 1911 for a refund.