View Single Post

Old 07-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

Liked 1,451 Times in 555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2 View Post
well with that said how far out is .223/.556 REALISTICALLY accurate out with a 16",18" or 20' barrel for a normal/average shooter, meaning how far distance with each Length
People get fixated on barrel length too much with these guns, yes SBR's accuracy are affected by their length, any of the barrels you listed will have about the same accuracy range. There are guys who can do amazing things, so I'm not going to discuss Youtube exceptions, but usefulness for Joe Average.

1. You are asking 2 different questions, you start out with an AR, then you are talking about the caliber itself. The .556 out of an AR is NOT the same thing as the .223 out of a bolt gun.

To answer you, under windy or cold or low altitude conditions...in other words commonly found conditions, out of the typical AR...I'd say around 600 yds is the max accurate range in an AR, barring special setups like the SR-15 etc.

In a bolt, with a 1 in 7 twist firing the 100 grain round the .223 is a 1000 yd caliber.

But then again, we are talking punch paper vs taking a target down here, a skilled sniper will hit the vital areas almost every time, so it's plenty of cartridge, a good casual shooter is doing good scoring consistent torso shots at 1000 yds.

2. The above mentioned .308 and 30-06 are 1000 yd rounds that carry enough energy even at distance to make torso shots count. The 06 has a lot more recoil, which is why most shooters prefer the .308, but the truth is, the 06 is as good as, if not better than the .308 at distance.

FYI...the.300 blackout, whisper etc does several things better than the .556--it's quieter suppressed, gives the option of a light fast bullet or a slower, heavy bullet and when loaded heavy does more damage to the target per round, assuming equal placement.

If you want a great, cheaper distance option and don't mind recoil---check into a Springfield 03.

I've got a SOCOM EBR I like a lot, but your spending some bucks for that, however, it gives you the portability of the AR and the 1000 yd capability of the .308

JMO