View Single Post

Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM

Liked 2,579 Times in 1,125 Posts

While nothing can be for certain, your gun may become more valuable than another 629-4 Classic in years to come simply because it is equipped with a feature - the PowerPort - that wasn't popular and was therefore dropped from production.

I had the exact gun and sold it because I also have a 6.5" 629-4 Classic without the Port and could tell very little difference in recoil or muzzle jump, which is probably why it didn't catch on.

An example of a discontinued feature making a firearm more valuable is the porting that was an option on Remington Model 700 VSSF varmint rifles back in the early 1990s. No .223, .22-250 or any other varmint caliber needs porting and it in fact robbed some velocity because the barrel was the same 26" length as the non-ported one, so basically pressure was relieved from behind the bullet two inches sooner with the porting. But despite being ballistically inferior, the ported versions of that rifle are now worth more than the non-ported ones.

I have a 6" 686-4 PowerPort that is unfired and I'm keeping it that way. Hopefully, our son will realize some added value should he ever sell it.

Ed