Thread: Hardball?
View Single Post

Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked 6,631 Times in 1,833 Posts

Thank god I have never had to shoot anyone, but as a big game guide I have either shot for myself or watched others shoot nearly 300 head of big game. I have recovered nearly 200 bullets from downed animals, so I do have some experence. I have also interviewed 18 people who have been shot. There is a reason why nearly all states outlaw fmj bullets for big game shooting. And there is a reson why the Hauge convention makes it illegal to use soft points against human targets. Most all game I have shot with FMJ bullets showed very little to no reaction to the hit. I shot a coyote 3 times with hardball ammo from a 45 ACP and he simply ran away. It took quite a time to find him and he was immobile but still breathing. A police officer friend shot himself through the kneecap with a Glock 45 ACP with hardball while training. He had to go to his squad car and pull up his pants leg to comfirm he had actuall shot himself. I saw him the next day he was limping a little and using a cane for one day. Another man I know shot himself in the groin with a 44 magnum using fmj ammo. He got up called the ambulence himself and held a kitchen towel showed into the wounds to stop the bleeding. A proffessional bear guide that has shot over 200 bears, many with hardcast 44 magnums. According to him a 200 pound bears showed very little ill effect when hit with non expanding bullets. I have read many war stories about shooting the enemy with hardball ammo with little effect. Jack O'Conner reported poor killing results using fmj bullets in 30-06's when shooting jackrabbits. Just some food for thought.