View Single Post

Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveragEd View Post
While nothing can be for certain, your gun may become more valuable than another 629-4 Classic in years to come simply because it is equipped with a feature - the PowerPort - that wasn't popular and was therefore dropped from production.

I had the exact gun and sold it because I also have a 6.5" 629-4 Classic without the Port and could tell very little difference in recoil or muzzle jump, which is probably why it didn't catch on.

An example of a discontinued feature making a firearm more valuable is the porting that was an option on Remington Model 700 VSSF varmint rifles back in the early 1990s. No .223, .22-250 or any other varmint caliber needs porting and it in fact robbed some velocity because the barrel was the same 26" length as the non-ported one, so basically pressure was relieved from behind the bullet two inches sooner with the porting. But despite being ballistically inferior, the ported versions of that rifle are now worth more than the non-ported ones.

I have a 6" 686-4 PowerPort that is unfired and I'm keeping it that way. Hopefully, our son will realize some added value should he ever sell it.

Ed
Interesting take on the PowerPort/Value thing Ed. I appreciate your thoughts. I don't have a clue as to what this 629-4 is worth but I would appreciate any opinions on that!

I do enjoy the learning and a better understanding of what makes one piece more desirable than another. From what I've been reading about the upward muzzle flash and it's potential affect on target reacquisition and/or night vision, I think I could probably have done very well without the Power Port.

One however, cannot look too closely in the mouth of a gifted horse.

At the risk of rambling on a bit, and if anyone is interested, this gun was a most welcome gift from the estate of a good man and my cousin, whose guns I stored at his widow's request, until one or more of their young children had demonstrated a genuine interest in fireams and the maturity and judgement required for firearm use and ownership.

Fast forward a little over ten years and many here can probably relate to the good feelings associated with my return of a father's gun collection to my "second cousin, once removed" who'd gone camping with us in the Colorado Rockies as a youngster shortly after his father's death and now all grown up to be a responsible and successful young man with an avid interest in shooting, hunting, and the great outdoors.

As if that weren't enough, after sharing our good thoughts, some good hugs, and good memories of his father, I was to accept as a gift either the S&W 629 Classic or a .357 Ruger GP100 in stainless. Except for the Dirty Harry thing, I didn't know much about either of these revolvers.

I already have a couple of Ruger firearms and really do like them. I also have a very, very nice, (dare I say it here on a S&W forum?), 4" - .357 Colt Python in stainless (my very favorite revolver unless this new Smith comes to change my mind). And also, I thought, while my knees aren't what they used to be, I still see some time spent "up in the mountains" yet in my future and whether bowhunting or camping in potential bear and cougar country in the past, I've always felt a little undergunned with the .357 Python. I thought the .44 mag might be a better choice for that mission.

I still have some reservations about the upward flash of the PowerPort and the long 6.5" barrel and wonder if a more conventional muzzle flash and a shorter, more easily accessible 4" barrel may be better suited for protection from an unexpected bear or lion in the woods or in camp.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

ZT