View Single Post

Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 AM
US Veteran

Liked 3,380 Times in 1,736 Posts

I got mine when they first came available. Paid $300 with the redfield palma sight and redfield international and an envelope full of the front sight inserts. Don't remember if mine came equipped with scope bases but since it was already drilled and tapped for them I managed to find a set. I pot on a redfield 3200 24x and planned to see just what she would do. Initial testing found out that 1.5" groups was about the best with the 22 ammo I was using at the time Ely's Benchrest gold. Trigger does need to be adjusted and also found the bolt operation to be rather hard and when I went to clean the rifle I found out why. Burrs left there by the various machining methods used to make the receiver... Stripped the rifle down and went to town on the burrs. Very fine files, stones and a assortment of silicone carbide paper 400-600 grit. Lubed the bolt after cleaning out all the debris from the deburring operation. I had some rws ammo and on occasion could get groups down to almost an honest inch. One thing did bother me was that the cheek piece or the comb was way too high. Should have bought that spare H&R M12 stock I saw at the gun show. I would suggest that if you want a better 22 match rifle and if the cmp still has them then get the kimber. Shoots better and with more brands of ammo. There was
large article put in one of the issues of "Precision Shooting" It will basically give you how kimber got their rifle to shoot more consisently.
Should be on the net somewhere. I still think the trigger is what is the stumbling block in getting these rifles to shoot well. There was a commercial H&R basically the same setup but never saw a side by side test done. Frank