View Single Post

Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,057 Times in 319 Posts

The H&R Model 12 is the military version of the model 5200 which is a clone to the Winchester Model 52.

In military marksmanship circles, 22 trainers are used. Model 52s and Rem 40X were used but as sources dried up, H&R filled the gap.

When they came out I was running the AK NG Marksmanship Program. We had a few Winchester Model 52s and Remington 40Xs but I wanted to issue 22 trainers to the state guard units. I ordered and recieved 10 ea for each BN and seperate company.

They were extremly accurate rifles, so good I bought one myself, a Model 5200 civilian version. Still have it and it still shoots.

The H&R Model 12s & Model 5200s are every bit as accurate as the Model's 52 and 40X.

As compaired to the CZ 452s and similar rifles, they are more accurate but do to the weight, can't be used in CMP and NRA Light Rifle, and Rimfire Sporter Events. They do make excellent rifles for prone events like the ISU English matches.

The only difference between the Model 12 and the Model 5200 is the finish on the stock. The Civilian 5200's have a high gloss finish on the stocks. The Model 12 have more of an oil finish. There is no difference in the accuracy between the two rifles.

The army got rid of most of their Model 12s, most of which were sold through the CMP. H&R doesn't make them any more, and you can expect the prices to go no where but up.