Thread: 9mm +P and +P+
View Single Post

Old 07-29-2012, 05:25 AM

Liked 335 Times in 182 Posts

I used the 127+P+ for a few years as a carry load and shot a lot of them. With all the performance data that's available,and along with my own actual testing in my own guns I switched to the 147gr. Ranger (RA9t).
The bullet designs are all tweaked these days to perform well at their own respective velocities and the newer 147 grainers give excellant penetration and expansion and do so with regularity. I am now using the 147gr.HST almost exclusively in all 9mm's of any barrel length. Performance stays the same.If these weren't available I'd go with he same loads in the 124+P versions. I see no reason to have the often excessive pressures of the +P+,as you're really not gaining much in true terminal performance(although they do work well) and it causes more wear on the pistol if you shoot a lot as I do.
It's actually pretty difficult to find a poor 9mm load these days. I think we've about reached the pinnacle in ammo development. After years of less than stellar ammo production,all the ammo companies have been forced by shooter demands to turn out good performing ammunition to stay competitive in the market.
ETA: If you want to stay with a plusP load,then,as Texas Star suggested,the Speer 124gr.+P is one of the best available with an actual excellant street record,and is a true bonded bullet.No way to go wrong with it.

Last edited by Stu Honea; 07-29-2012 at 05:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: