View Single Post

Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Liked 279 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharner View Post
From what I've read it seems to only affect the 9mm. Something about the locking block being not enough of a redesign from the .40 so the physics aren't quite what they need to be.
I've been doing a lot of reading of various posts on this issue and it seems the accuracy of any particular M&P 9mm is luck of the draw. Some have decent accuracy, while others cant keep it on the paper at 10yds.

From what I've read, I'm starting to believe that how tightly the locking block (aka barrel hood) fits into the slide notch determines the accuracy potential of that particular barrel/slide combination. If that is typically smaller than a .40 version, I can see that affecting using 9mm barrel in a .40 slide but I don't know why that would be a factor with a stock 9mm as it should be machined to fit correctly.

The other lockup issue I hear talked about is that the 9mm unlocks too soon and the bullet is then thrown high by the barrel pivoting down. I think this might be what bharner is talking about above and what others say a fix is being worked on by a popular aftermarket vendor.

So with the cost of buying a new gun, a trigger improvement, a couple other parts and a barrel, with no guarantee it will still shoot accurately, it isn't unreasonable to just go buy another brand and not have to monkey with it.

Last edited by 125JHP; 08-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.