Thread: Nano vs Shield
View Single Post

Old 08-03-2012, 10:40 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,356 Times in 451 Posts
Default Nano vs Shield

People that know I own both a Beretta Nano and the S&W Shield often ask me which one I prefer. Now this is a tough one to answer since they are both really good pistols in the own right. So yesterday I ventured to my range to do a side by side comparison. Here are my observations after many rounds downrange. First off I'm big into M&Ps and currently own 4 of them so I'm very partial to the series. The Shield is Smiths attempt at really shrinking the package and to that end they did a good job. The Beretta Nano which is Berettas first striker fired pistol is a true micro pistol and is smaller than the Shield. I have many rounds through my Shield so in this range sessions I put a lot of different rounds through the Nano to see how it stacked up, so here goes.
Size.... The Shield is very comfortable carried in an IWB holster but is not a pocket pistol in my experience. Here's where the Nano has an edge, it's smaller plain and simple. I spent a couple hot days carrying it in various pockets in a Remora pocket holster quite comfortably. So for very hot weather carry the Nano is better. When I can cover my pistol with an open shirt the Shield is fine.
Trigger.... The Shield has a short takeup before let off and now has a very positive reset. The Nano is more Kahr like in that it is a long, smooth takeup almost like a double action revolver. You definately will not have a negligent discharge with the Nano.
Sights.... I would rate the sights as being equal since they are both 3 dot and easy to acquire.
Accuracy.... This one really surprised me because I shot tighter groups with the Nano with all loads and it especially like 147 grn Federal HSTs. My outdoor range has target backboards at 7, 15 and 50 yards which was just reconfigured, the range staff for some reason didn't put a 25 yard stand up yet. The Nano I thought would provide the same type of say combat accuracy as my Shield. I was wrong at 7 yards I had consistently shot groups that became one big hole.
Point Shooting.... The Shield I feel points much more naturally than the Nano, so shooting from the hip made hits easy with the Shield at combat distances. The Nano would point and shoot low unless I consciously pointed higher, so for point and shoot scenarios the Shield beats the Nano.
Reliability.... The Shield was flawless with any load shot through it and so was the Nano. On the Beretta Forum some Nano owners reported FTE malfunctions with light 115 grn loads. But mine functioned perfectly with all loads from 115 to 147grn.
Comfort.... Both pistols were very comfortable through a lot of rounds with the edge going to the Shield with it's more ergonomic grip. That said the Nano though was much more comfortable than I anticipated being so small.
So which one did I like best I'd have to say I like both of them equally. The Nano is more concealable and slightly more accurate when using the sights. But the Shield is more accurate point shooting but not so using the sights. When I got bored I shot them both at 50 yards like I was at Camp Perry and while both hit the B1 targets the Nano was definately more accurate at distance, go figure.
Ammo....
I've pictured the ammo used and both pistols seem to prefer the Federal 147 grn HST. I did some water jug testing to see what would expand out of such short barrels and 2 loads stood out. Again the Federal 147 grn HST and the Corbon +P 115 grn DPX solid copper load.
Conclusion..... Long post I know. I'm now going to send my Nano to Robar for my favorite finish like I did with all my M&Ps. For super hot t-shirt weather I'll be carrying the Nano quite confidently as I find it to be a very good pistol. For shirt and a little cooler weather the Shield will be with me. And when I can wear a jacket my M&P9c or M&P45c will be my pistol of choice. For those wanting an alternative to say a small J frame the Nano is a top shelf choice. I'm happy I have both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06521.jpg (97.0 KB, 4898 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06446.jpg (112.2 KB, 3175 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06449.jpg (106.5 KB, 3048 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06453.jpg (69.9 KB, 3080 views)
File Type: jpg HST & DPX 3.jpg (138.1 KB, 2889 views)
The Following 19 Users Like Post: