View Single Post

Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Smith & Wesson revolver identification

I would appreciate very much if somebody of you could help me in the identification a Smith & Wesson revolver model:
Some weeks ago, a friend of mine gave me a Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver that he found in poor conditions of storage, lost in a big warehouse for at least thirty five years. The gun was heavily rusted, pitted and some parts were missing. The worst part were the cylinder that had been apparently smashed with a heavy hammer or pressed in such way that became deformed and two of the chambers were made oval shaped making this piece unuseable. After cleaning, filing, sanding the frame and installing the missing parts to the action, the revolver seems to be still serviceable but only if a new cylinder and perhaps a new cylinder stop are fitted.
Unable to identify the model I made a research at the Internet but the characteristics of this gun does not match completely with any of the S&W revolver models displayed or may be that I did not look at the right places.
In order to purchase a new cylinder, I must confirm the frame size (it seems to be a N-frame) and model and then is when I need help from persons like you, with knowledge and experience about Smith & Wesson revolvers.
I have attached photos of the revolver. The serial number engraved at the heel of the frame grip, cylinder edge and interior of ejector rod shroud is - S 90XXX - the alphanumeric code engraved at the frame at the yoke area (that I think could be the model´s number) is: - E 4145 -
I reshaped the front sight that was originally half moon but was twisted and dented. I also cut about ¼” and recrowned the barrel because It was also very damaged.
Thanks a lot.
waffenmann