View Single Post

Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked 1,447 Times in 670 Posts

Hello, everyone. Forgive me, for I feel that thread necromancy is a poor and arguably inappropriate way for a new member to introduce themselves, but I've seen that same exact photograph posted across multiple forums by the same user, and frankly, it's not telling the whole story regarding the IWBA 4-layer denim test.

Since a picture speaks a thousand words, I'll let this speak for itself:

The bottom round is none other than the Speer 135 gr. +P GDHP, tested by Doctor Gary Roberts using a 1 7/8" barreled J-frame revolver no less. I'm providing a link so that anyone interested may view this in its proper context.

Now, to be fair, DocGKR did note that there was an extreme standard deviation with the measured velocities and I cannot honestly say when this test was performed, but it does go to show you that all manufacturers have "bad days" and that there's no such thing as a "magic bullet." To be honest, I don't think the "unexpected and heretofore unseen disaster" as described by the tester discounts the viability of the 135 gr. GHDP as a "serious" self-defense round at all, despite the very real probability that it may not expand after encounting an intermediate barrier like heavy clothing.

As for me, it's what I currently use in my Chief's Special because it's easier for me to reload using speedloaders than Remington's LHP due to clearance issues with the factory panels (my Mod. 36 is a square butt, which limits my options as far as aftermarket stocks are concerned). However, as soon as I'm able to commission a set of Herett's Detective stocks and take delivery of them, I'm switching right back to Remington.

Last edited by CoMF; 08-13-2012 at 03:35 PM.