View Single Post

Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked 311 Times in 170 Posts

I would highly recommend a Marlin 1894. It comes in all three calibers you mentioned. I'm assuming you do not handload so it would be much cheaper to shoot the 357 because you can buy 38 special for a more reasonable price than 44 or 45.
As far as a defensive caliber the 357 is quite well respected being shot out of a handgun and you would realize about 400 more feet per second out of the rifle.
In my opinion the 44 or 45 would make a better hunting caliber but at a considerable higher cost for the ammo. The 357 and 158 grain bullet with factory loads would probably have a velocity of around 2000 feet per second out of the rifle and the venerable 30 30 shoots a 170 grain bullet about the same velocity so you can base the hunting aspect on that. The difference would be that the 158 grain 357 was made as a pistol bullet and may not hold up to the higher velocity thereby sacrificing penetration and causing more damage to the meat. Again that's my opinion and I'm sure there will be someone to come along with another.
Have fun choosing and shoot em up!