View Single Post

Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 AM

Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmannGhia View Post
<snip> I will tell you that the 16 inch 44 mag will get uncomfortable real quick (a longer and heavier Marlin in the same caliber may be a better choice for extended range sessions). <snip>
Really? I have a 44mag Marlin 1894P with a 16.25" ported barrel (think down-sized Guide Gun) that is so much fun to shoot, that I've never thought of it as being uncomfortable. Way easier to snap off a hundred rounds with the Marlin, than it is with my 5" 629. This is one light, fast and quick handling lever gun. If I had to pick a lever gun for HD, this would be the one. Great hunting companion too. The barrel length is more than sufficient for what I consider reasonable hunting distances, given the platform and caliber being used.

As it happens, one of my favorite ballistics experts, Dr. Gary Roberts, tested a bunch of 44Mag ammo a few years back with exactly this combination of firearms. He made a list of the rounds that were the best in the 629 and some that were better suited to the Marlin. He also found "the load with clearly superior performance in BOTH the handgun and carbine was the Hornady 300 gr XTP". Very convienent having one round that works exceedingly well in both firearms.