View Single Post

Old 08-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked 150 Times in 78 Posts

I've never testified but I did serve as the jury foreman for a murder trial about 13 years ago.

Although two prosecutor's witnesses failed to show up and a third changed his story on stand, we found the defendant guilty of 2nd degree murder. He did everything right except change his pants - which contained blood splatter traces of the victim. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison, the maximum, IRC. This means he should have been out by now, assuming good behavior etc.

However, per the AL Dept. of Corrections reveals that now he is in for Life with Possibility of Parole. So, sometime in the last 13 years, he killed again apparently. Or possibly, he was convicted of another murder before we got to him.

After I rendered the verdict, we went back to the jury room and the Homicide detective came in and told us "the rest of the story". He said they had been trying to get this guy for murder since he was 16 (he was in his mid-30's at this trial) and had been unsuccessful. He had apparently killed several people before they were finally able to get enough evidence to go to trial.