View Single Post

Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,632 Times in 970 Posts

As a career prosecutor, I've had several defendants who were angry with me and threatened me or gave me the impression that, should they ever be released, I might have some problems.

One is on death row and looks like he will be going in the not-to-distant future. His co-defendant was sentenced to life (we no longer have parole in Florida and life means life) so I am not too concerned about him.

There is one, however, I am always on the watch for. A man who tried to extort Clearwater officials, actually ran an elderly man off the road to make the point that he, the defendant, was dangerous and who tried to hire a hit man to take care of me while in jail.

I've prosecuted him twice now and he's back out of prison. The last time, he filed some document that would show that he was entitled to a new trial on the first prosecution based on "newly discovered evidence."

I looked at his "evidence" and realized I had seen that document before. I went through about 10 huge banker's boxes of documents and found the original.

Guess what? The original was not the same as the "copy" he was using for his "evidence" to obtain a new trial. He had altered his copy of the original, ran it through a copier three or four times, and presented it as a copy of the original. If, of course, the document had been real, he would likely have gotten a new trial.

Sadly (for him), in Florida, that is a Forgery and an Uttering of a Forged Instrument. He was really ticked that I had found the original and ticked more when he was sentenced back to prison for that little trick.

But, he's out now and busy hating the prosecutor that took my place after I retired. That young man, who was not really a gun person, now carries a Model 60 and I keep a careful watch for this fellow in case he drops by to see me. This guy just won't give up and really wants his convictions removed.

BTW, this all started in 1988 and has continued in the courts, both State and Federal, since then. He just makes up stuff, files false claims, and waits to see if anything will stick.

Otherwise, the usual empty threats and dirty looks, but nothing too exciting.

Bob